Sunday, November 22, 2009

Kiwis with Queensland knowledge

Last Wednesday evening friends we met when travelling around Australia in 2004 came down to visit us - they were originally from Auckland, but moved over to Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast 3 years ago. When the sun had set, it seemed our knowledgeable friends needed to instruct us in the "non breeding" program of the dreaded and revolting poisonous cane toad which is spreading rapidly now through the north and insisted on entering our back garden that evening. A weapon was needed, and I found just the thing, it was a wooden menu - some 32 years old, which I had picked up in the USA at the Rusty Scupper Restaurant in New Hampshire. Why I had kept this tool for so long I don't know, but it now stands on the back deck for all to see, including any toads who dare to visit in the evening.
After some training, Colin and Lois declared the Brig was capable of protecting our property from these dreaded creatures, who by the way are a little slow off the mark at times. They are that poisonous though they have been killing crocodiles who eat them. Still a lot better than snakes though!!

1 comment:

  1. lovely to hear from you this morning and great blog pictures -your place looks great; and the weather makes me envious. Love to you all.
    K&M x

    ReplyDelete