Friday, April 16, 2010

In 1967!!!!!!

Well, 43 years ago, I moved from Sydney to Auckland, New Zealand, and somehow or other moved into a house in Mount Eden, 3 streets from the magic Rugby ground - Eden Park - with a group of girls I had never met!!. We clicked, all from totally different lives and families, but it worked! Our abode below as it was 43 years ago!!!.
Col I, Sandy and I (note our false eyelashes)

Then came the 2nd Col (Eastwood) on the left with the other Col (Innes) on the right - with good old George, a gentleman who, with his wife Bubbles lived down the street, and used to organise birthday parties for us, as we were all away from family - and they generally just kept an eye on our well being.

Then there was Chappy, one of the Aussie guys who rented a house in the next street. He met young Jen below, married her, and has been in New Zealand now for 43 years. Somehow or other Jen just fitted in with us really well.

The House as she looks today!! This year 21 of us made it to the REUNION in NAPIER, NZ. All grouped at the oldest vineyard in New Zealand - THE MISSION

Glorious building and grounds

Jen, Col E., moi and Col I. -the Camp Mother and organiser of this Reunion!
Sandy and her husband Tom - (why she has a knife near his chest, I would not question???) - these are the creative "embroiderers"(they are now designing for both The Hobbit and Mad Max 4)
Out for lunch after our Hawkes Bay Vineyard tour
First dinner at the Motel - tables and chairs removed from each room, flower decorations of course, and our chief chefs, Den, Frank and Don barbequed as well as they did when we got together 2 years ago. Just amazing how well the guys get along - none of them were with any of us 43 years ago, except Chappy and Jen.

Last dinner at the Motel - it was raining, so we asked the owners if we could move all our tables, chairs, flower decorations and food to under the Reception Portico, and we invited the owners to join us. - They immediately changed their sign to NO VACANCIES, they joined us and we had a lovely evening - again!!!!

Below - 2nd and 3rd on left - owners of the Motel - Ngaire and Jim!

Next Reunion - 2012, in either Queenstown on the South Island of NZ, or the Blue Mountains in Oz.

4 comments:

  1. you girls all looked like Dusty Springfield or Sandie Shaw...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean "use to" look like!!!!
    Our vocal tones are very dissimilar unfortunately!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never a truer word Liz...I still feel the pain of yout rendition in the back of the taxi from the kiwi village night!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still can't understand why a "real" kiwi taxi driver couldn't pick up my rendition of "10 guitars" - guess what my ballet teacher told the piano player when I was 9 was "spot on" - SHE HAS NO TUNE!!!!

    ReplyDelete