Trev and Kev, this is for you. Trevor re your write up and photos on your blog about your walk through Eyam, Derbyshire, last week, I saw the mention of Peter FURNESS, known in his time as "The Peak Poet", this sort've caught my interest!

By coincidence, when were in the Peak District in December 2007, we specifically paid St. Lawrence Church in Eyam a visit.
There were 3 reasons for this sojourn, we wanted to see this Church - inside (and we spent some time in there - it was gorgeous and far warmer than the cold air outside) AND
outside looking at the 8th Century Celtic Cross, many other outstanding aged gravestones, and of course the wonderful Sun Dial over the south door.
The other reason was to search for the graves of my Cousin-in-law's relatives - YES, the surname we were looking for was FURNESS.

We found 3 "Furness" headstones, and believe there are definitely more, but unfortunately those Peak Winter winds were starting to really chill, so our seeking came to an end, before our search was fully complete.

These 2 "Furness" headstones are on the side path near front door of the Church

David is away right now, so can't check a lot out with him, but I do remember him telling me that none of his relos - the 'Furnesses" were lost to the plague. I will see what more I can find out when he is back from his hols.
******
On the same trip we had a peek, which then called for a walk around Edale, absolutely delightful.
Had to pay the Old Nags Head pub a visit!
The Parsonage was spectacular even in winter
And back to another stunning Peak District Church
I have had to put this on my blog, as although I have no problems with uploading photos on to here, for some reason I cannot get them out on email - a slight technical "set up" hitch I would say.
Hi Liz, some fascinating information - let us know if you find out any more about the Furness family. Did you look in the Eyam Museum while you were there?
ReplyDeleteTrev